Supervalu to sell €2.2m worth of Irish apples

Model Aoife Coogan with Brandon Noble (6) from Ratoath, Co Meath, and Yasmin O’Neill (4) from Finglas
Model Aoife Coogan with Brandon Noble (6) from Ratoath, Co Meath, and Yasmin O’Neill (4) from Finglas

The first of Ireland's new season apples have hit Supervalu shelves. Last year total sales of fresh Irish food topped €1 billion, says Musgrave

Print

PrintPrint
Brand Central

11 September 2009 | 0

Share this post:
 

advertisement



 

Supervalu has announced projected sales of €2.2 million of Irish apples in 2009.

The first of this crop are now available in all stores across the country. Supervalu’s commitment to Irish based growers and producers resulted in combined Irish retail sales of €1 billion of fresh Irish food in 2008.

This commitment to investing in local produce guarantees top quality, fresh Irish fruit and vegetables for consumers.

Supervalu’s longstanding loyalty to local Irish producers and communities means that 65% of the fruit and vegetables currently purchased by Supervalu and its retail partners are Irish. The remaining 35% is made up of fruit and vegetables either not available or out of season in Ireland. This commitment to secure supply locally has ensured consumers trust in the Supervalu fresh fruit and vegetable offering.

Commenting on the announcement, Donal Horgan, managing director, Supervalu, said: “Supervalu has a long established policy of investing in local Irish produce whenever possible, thus providing the Irish consumer with top quality Irish fresh fruit and vegetables and we are delighted to welcome this season’s Irish apples in store.”

During 2008 Musgrave made a significant contribution to the Irish economy and Irish suppliers, with 75% of all products purchased on behalf of all its Supervalu retail partners either produced or manufactured in Ireland. This represents total purchases from Irish suppliers in excess of €2.85 billion at retail level, serving to both create and protect Irish jobs and livelihoods and also sustain Irish communities.

 

advertisement



 
Share this post:



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑