Major revamp on the horizon for Stephen’s Green

Retail Sales are up thanks to Easter trading, but Ibec urges caution
"Keeping the retail sector open and trading is the best way to avoid further job losses and business failures," said Retail Ireland's Arnold Dillon

The majority owners of St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre in Dublin are selling part of their majority in a move that is expected to lead to a revamp of the landmark shopping centre

Print

PrintPrint
News

Read More:

8 July 2015 | 0

Share this post:
 

advertisement



 

St. Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre in the heart of Dublin city is about to undergo a change of ownership, which is expected to lead to a “long overdue” revamp of the iconic building. The Irish Times reports today that Irish Life, the majority owner of the centre, is planning to sell 35.4% of its interests; experts predict that if and when this sale goes ahead it will trigger a series of changes including a new layout to accommodate a series of new fashion stores and a nine-screen cinema on the roof of the centre.

Irish Life owns a 73% stake in the centre, with the other 27% held by businessman and property developer Pierce Moloney. The Times states that Irish Life is seeking €45.6m for the 35.4% holding, which is expected to yeild around €3m per year, including revenue from the centre’s car park.

The proposed sale by Irish Life is expected to kick off a rejuvination process for the centre, which opened in 1988. Experts say the site has been in need of a revamp, but an apparent lack of interest from major fashion retailers in recent years has left owners reluctant to put additional funds in to the site.

Under an existing plan for a remodeling of the centre would see the ground floor converted to contain a single central pedestrian aisle, with stores on either side enlarged and kiosks eliminated. The current owners already holdplanning permission to develop a €10m cinema with a total seating capacity of 1,612.

image: Mike Peel (www.mikepeel.net)

 

advertisement



 
Share this post:

Read More:



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑