All eyes on McDonald’s as six drive-thrus re-open
Restaurant chain and its franchisees working closely with local authorities and An Garda Síochána
20 May 2020
McDonald’s has been trending on social media this morning, with people keen to find out which six McDonald’s drive-thrus were the chosen locations to reopen in Dublin, following last week’s announcement.
The six drive-thrus re-opening from 11am-10pm today. have now been revealed as the following: Nutgrove, Kylemore Road, East Wall, Artaine, Malahide Road, and Tallaght.
McDonald’s has said strict new measures will be in place to help keep employees and customers safe. UK and Ireland CEO Paul Pomroy has asked customers to be patient as the chain adapts to new working conditions.
Due to social distancing restrictions, he said customers could expect to encounter slower than usual service as well as likely queues. He added that McDonald’s intended to open more restaurants and add additional menu items on a slow, phased basis.
The group and its franchisees are working closely with local authorities and An Garda Síochána, and may determine that it is necessary to close drive-thru lanes, if queues cause disruption at busier sites.
It will certainly be interesting from a foodservice perspective to see how McDonald’s fares with this first trial phase of reopening. The chain says it aims to open all drive-thrus in Ireland and the UK in early June.
Changes introduced at McDonald’s outlets include the following measures:
- Capped spend in drive-thrus at €30 per car and customers are encouraged to pay by contactless payment methods wherever possible.
- Perspex screens at drive-thru windows and employees wearing protective equipment, as well as perspex screens and floor markings in specific areas in the restaurant and kitchen.
- All McDonald’s employees will be asked to confirm they are fit and able to work, and contactless thermometers will be used to take employee temperatures upon arrival at work for every shift.
- Social distancing has been introduced in the kitchens and service areas to help create a safe working environment for restaurant teams.
- Restaurants will return with smaller teams, offering a limited menu.
Virgin Media News journalist Richard Chambers has since shared a video of the queue for McDonald’s Kylemore Road, which can be viewed below:
Krispy Kreme madness has been dethroned. pic.twitter.com/rFY1V2vgsU
— Richard Chambers (@newschambers) May 20, 2020