SuperValu ready for bumper Halloween

SuperValu expects to sell 100,000 Irish-made Báirn Braics by 31 October
SuperValu expects to sell 100,000 Irish-made Báirn Braics by 31 October

SuperValu expects to see a return to traditional Halloween fare this year, stocking up with copious curly kale and Báirn Braic

Print

PrintPrint
Brand Central

13 October 2009 | 0

Share this post:
 

advertisement



 

SuperValu is well-prepared for a Halloween rush, announcing this month that the treats of the season have already hit shelves across the country. The group is expecting to see huge interest in traditional Halloween fare this year and predicts it will sell at least 100,000 Báirn Braics through its 194 store network, and forecasts a 20% increase in kale sales, by 31 October.

Kale sales traditionally peak in October, when SuperValu expects to sell 30,000 heads. Kale is one of the fastest growing vegetable products, with sales growing 20% year-on-year, as Irish families revert to traditional dishes such as Colcannon (kale and potatoes) for Halloween.

Once again, the group is proud to announce also that all of this seasonal product has been sourced from Irish suppliers. Some 75% of all products purchased on behalf of SuperValu retail partners is either produced or manufactured in Ireland, representing total purchases from Irish suppliers in excess of €2.85 billion at retail level.

SuperValu’s longstanding loyalty to local Irish producers and communities means that, currently, 65% of the fruit and vegetables purchased by SuperValu and its retail partners are Irish. The remaining 35% is made up of fruit and vegetables either not available or out-of-season in Ireland. According to the group, this commitment to secure supply locally has ensured consumer trust in the SuperValu fresh fruit and vegetable offering.

 

advertisement



 
Share this post:



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to Top ↑