Aldi wins Retailer of the Year at annual Free From Food Awards
Aldi Ireland scoops 33 titles in total, while Cork’s Walls Honest Chips wins the Innovation Award
13 October 2020 | 0
Aldi has won ‘Retailer of the Year’ at the annual FreeFrom Food Awards, which were announced on Thursday, 8 October. Aldi took home an impressive 33 titles, including 12 Gold Awards, five Silver Awards, 10 Bronze Awards and 4 Merit Awards.
An exceptional night of wins, Aldi was also awarded an Innovation Award for its Walls Honest Chips (Whitegate Co. Cork) with judges’ commenting they make “the perfect chip butty”. Walls Honest Chips were recently awarded a 12-month contract with Aldi Ireland as part of the successful Grow with Aldi programme.
Aldi took home accolades across 18 categories, including Silver, Bronze and Merit Awards in the Beer, Breakfast Products, Cake, Dessert and Puddings, Meat Products (Sausages), Sauces (Cooking) and Soup categories.
Aldi’s 12 gold winners were:
- Free From Irish Pork Sausages – €0.89
- Dominion Sugar Free Lemon Sherbets – €0.97
- The Foodie Market Gluten Free Lemon Slices – €0.99
- Róisín’s Mint Crisp Milk Chocolate Bar – €1.19
- Specially Selected Extra Buttery Toffee Popcorn – €1.36
- The Pantry Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour – €1.79
- Specially Selected Gluten Free Quadruple Chocolate Cookies – €1.69
- Specially Selected Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce – €1.69
- The Gastro Range Battered Chicken Fillet Chunks – €2.99
- The Gastro Range Southern Fried Goujons – €2.99
- Walls Honest Chips – €3.49
- Irish Carvery Lamb Shoulder with Garlic and Rosemary Marinade – €11.99
The Free From Food awards are judged by panels comprised of industry specialists, food writers, food bloggers and consumers of free from products. Judges carry out a blind assessment of each product, judging on the quality of flavour, aroma, texture, ingredients, price and importantly their free from declarations.
“Winning Retailer of the Year at the Free From Awards is a fantastic achievement for Aldi Ireland,” said John Curtin, group buying director, Aldi Ireland. “Our buying team and suppliers work hard to introduce innovative free from products that cater to dietary requirements of our customers.”