Aldi throws ‘a lifeline’ to flower growers during Covid-19 crisis
Following the temporary closure of DIY and garden centres across the country, Aldi is helping a number of nurseries to remain operational during these uncertain times
29 April 2020
Many Irish flower suppliers across the country are feeling the pinch with DIY and garden centres temporarily closed. However, one bright spot for such nurseries is their partnership with Aldi, which says it remains eager to continue supporting small Irish suppliers in these uncertain times. Little Bridge Flowers (Spring Nurseries), a small rural family business situated in Doneraile, Co. Cork is one such business, which is now supplying Irish Grown Spring Bedding (€3.99/20pk) to Aldi stores nationwide.
“This opportunity during these unprecedented times is a lifeline for our business, helping us to remain open and operational,” says Sean Barrett, sales manager of Little Bridge Spring Nurseries.
Aldi is also helping to keep green-fingered shoppers entertained during lockdown, with the opportunity to add some instant summer colour to their gardens and balconies. Aldi’s range of potting and bedding plants, grown in association with Bord Bia quality assured nurseries, goes on sale in all 142 stores nationwide tomorrow (Thursday, 30 April), and includes the following:
- Red Geraniums, Calibrachoa and Osteospermums (€1.99 each) – Ideal for planters or beds, add a splash of colour to the garden for the bank holiday weekend with vibrant red Geraniums, Calibrachoa and Osteospermums all sourced from Jim O’Connor’s Nurseries, Co. Wexford.
- Marguerite, Million Bells, Cape Daisy, Petunia Peppy (€2.99 each) – When planted in a bright, sunny spot these plants will thrive and will flower between early summer and early autumn, best planted in sheltered areas. All home-grown from Uniplumo, Oldtown, Co. Dublin.
- Moss Phlox, Campanula (€3.99 each) – Sourced from SAP Nurseries, Cahir, Co. Tipperary, these instant summer colour perennials are a mix of low-growing early summer flowering plants that come back year after year. Perfect for front beds and rockeries. Also available are Erysimum, Dianthus, Armeria and Salvia.
- Azalea (€4.99 each) – Home grown and produced from Doran’s Nurseries, Co. Kildare, this low-growing evergreen Japanese shrub will reward with an abundance of bright flowers and is ideal for filling gaps in flowering beds.
- Calibrachoa Light Yellow, Calibrachoa Pink Vein (€5.99 each) – Ideal planters for the patio or decking area. These ready-made planters from Jim O’Connor’s Nurseries in Wexford don’t require getting the hands dirty.